Arizona fishing report: The Reel Deal
The cheat sheet to some good winter fishing, our Winter Fishing Forecast, just went “live.” See the forecast.
A few other options:
- The forecast for winter trout fishing on Community waters this weekend is good. Our “Core” Community waters are being stocked with rainbow trout and water temperatures have been in the mid- to high-50s in desert regions — typically good for trout fishing. We also just updated the Community fishing waters stocking schedule. While most Community waters have been getting stocked with trout this month, Prescott Valley’s Yavapai Lakes will get its first trout of the season in mid-January.
- Canyon Lake in the Tonto National Forest (60-degree water temperature) has been stocked with trout. Try throwing some spinners in the Boulder Recreation Area for the trout. Some bass anglers take the opportunity to exercise trout-imitation swimbaits for a shot at some monster bass.
- In the high country, it sounds like there are no waters that have remained completely frozen — for now. Forest Road 300 was still open as of Friday. Access to Willow Springs Lake is still open and there is some ice at the end of some of the lake’s arms. Some big tiger trout were caught at Willow this fall and we’ve had reports that fishing was good there last weekend. The main gate to Woods Canyon Lake is locked. We’ll soon have some updates on lake and road conditions in the high country. In the meantime, be safe if headed to the high country, and remember that we consider all ice on lakes unsafe. Be sure to keep up with the latest road restrictions from ADOT.
- Fishing at the lower 3 mile walk-in section of Lees Ferry — Arizona’s premier blue-ribbon trout fishery below Glen Canyon Dam — has been excellent. See a full Lees Ferry report.
- Rainbow trout fishing has been excellent on the Colorado River at Willow Beach and below Davis Dam. Try spinners and PowerBait.
Catch of the Week
Send your fishing reports and photos to BFishing@azgfd.gov —
one will be selected for Catch of the Week
PAAC Pond (Yuma)
Ezra (top) and Jude (bottom) caught these nice rainbow trout Friday, Nov. 30 from one of the newest Community Fishing Program waters, PAAC Pond in Yuma.
This week’s scheduled stockings
Rainbow trout: “Core” Community waters, Verde River (Clarkdale to Camp Verde), Goldwater Lake, Canyon Lake, Patagonia Lake, Green Valley Lakes.
Family Fishing Events
Note: At these free fishing clinics, loaner rods are provided, bait is free, and no license is required for those who register at the AZGFD booth during event hours.
Saturday, Jan. 12
Free Fishing Clinic, 8 a.m.-noon, Copper Sky Lake, Maricopa. The event is open to all ages. Fishing licenses are not required, during the planned hours of the event, for those who register at the Game & Fish Booth.
Save time, buy online
Grab a license online (that helps conserve all species of wildlife, not to mention provides funding that goes back into fishing opportunities) and go “Fish AZ”.