Fishing Report: White Mountains region — some roads opening
Some popular waters in this region are accessible, while others — such as Big Lake — remain inaccessible due to snow drifts and closed roads.
Here’s a rundown of what’s happening in this stretch of scenic high country:
- Hulsey, Luna, Nelson, Becker, Woodland, Rainbow, Scott, Show Low, Fool Hollow (pictured above), Concho, Clear Creek Reservoir, and Lyman lakes are all accessible.
- Willow Springs Lake. Forest Road 149 into the boat ramp area at this lake opened a couple days ago, and the lake is ice free, although stockings are not currently scheduled here. The boat dock at Willow is disconnected and likely won’t be connected for several weeks.
- Black Canyon Lake is open and roads are clear.
- Chevelon Canyon Lake is accessible only from the north (Rim Road is still closed, so there’s no access from the south).
- Woods Canyon Lake and Bear Canyon Lake are inaccessible due to closed Rim Road (FR 300).
- Carnero Lake is still blocked by snow drifts.
- Big Lake, Crescent, and Lee Valley lakes are still inaccessible from all directions due to snow drifts and closed roads (remote camera shows Big Lake is still ice covered).